Monday, April 19, 2010

ATTY. ALLAN "P.A." VELASCO, MARINDUQUE



I guess I should re-post this video that I posted some five (5) months ago on November 28, 2009 on Atty. ALLAN "P.A." VELASCO, now candidate for Congress to represent the Lone District of Marinduque in the House of Representatives.

It was my tribute to the popular Marinduque attorney, a DVD copy of which I presented to him on that same day as a Birthday and Goodbye present as he ended his term as provincial administrator.

The day before that, (November 27, 2009), I posted the following:


"P.A." throws a birthday-despedida party for his supporters and fans at the Mogpog Covered Court this afternoon from 4:00 pm.

"Atty. Allan "P.A." Velasco recently took his oath as member of the administration party, Lakas-Kampi-CMD. Set to file his candidacy for a national position in the May 2010 elections in the Philippines, he will be leaving his post as provincial administrator by the end of this month.

"Velasco served as chairman of the Marinduque Provincial Tourism Council during his two-year stint in the provincial government. He undertook related projects and activities in cooperation with the office of the governor, the provincial council, provincial tourism office, local LGUs, cultural organizations, tourism agencies and Team Marinduque. Initial thrust is for the island-province to make a strong presence in the promotion of the island as a haven for adventure sports and community-based tourism.

"All-out promotion and development of Marinduque tourism and allied services and industries shall be his 'reason for being' if elected. P.A. is president of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP), Marinduque Chapter.

"He is the son of Associate Justice Presbitero Velasco, Jr. of the Supreme Court of the Philippines and former Marinduque beauty queen Lorna Quinto-Velasco of Mogpog-Torrijos."


Why the repost then? Well, I recently saw an article that first appeared in BusinessMirror Online Space and also reprinted in David Katague's blog (and that's where I read it), about accusations made against Associate Justice Velasco in the web which apparently prompted the Justice to file a libel case against the journalist who allegedly made damaging insinuations.

“Ms. Vitug publicly accused me in her Newsbreak online article…and portrayed me as an unethical person without delicadeza who has wantonly violated the Code of Judicial Conduct and existing laws. Said malicious imputations were plainly directed against me and had caused me, my wife and children, especially Allan, irreparable dishonor, discredit and contempt,” the complaint said.

"The article also stated that Justice Velasco voted with the majority in the SC’s decision in the Quinto case that allowed appointive officials to stay in their posts even after the filing of their candidacy, which was beneficial to his son.

"It can be recalled, though, that said ruling has already been abandoned by the Court with finality.

"In his complaint, Velasco denied Vitug’s insinuation that the Quinto ruling benefited his son, as the latter immediately resigned from his post as provincial administrator after he filed his certificate of candidacy on December 1, 2009.

“The insinuation that I concurred with the majority in the Quinto case to benefit Allan reeks with malice. Ms. Vitug made it appear that my vote in the case was not predicated on the obtaining factual and legal premises, as required by law and the Rules of Court, but to favor particularly my son, a situation which, if true, is unethical and a breach of the Code of Judicial Conduct,” Velasco said.


But then, of course it ain't true that Atty. Allan who precisely often talked of delicadeza, benefited in any way because by December 1, 2009, the Marinduque Provincial Government already had a new provincial administrator by the name of Mr. Juan Roberto L. Abling.

Then, David Katague commented on my blog on November 29, 2009 as follows:


"Excellent video. May I repost this in my blog? So, who is the new provincial administrator? See you soon."

To which I responded to on the same day, Nov. 29, 2009, with the folowing comment post:

"Yes pls. New prov admin is former Human Settlements Minister, Roberto Abling of Gasan. See you."

I further sayeth naught... or maybe I really should?

5 comments:

David B Katague said...

I have seen this video once. I still enjoy it. This is a must view for all true-blooded Marinduqueno(a)s, especially those residing abroad like me and my family of four children and six grandchildren. Indeed, Marinduque you are in MY Heart!

eli j obligacion said...

...and I suppose you've read the rest of the story triggered by your blog...

eli j obligacion said...

...and I suppose you've read the rest of the story triggered by your blog...

David B Katague said...

Yes, indeed! Do you have electricity now in Marinduque? I read that today's projected temperature in Manila will around 38C, That is Hot, hot without air conditioning or electric fans!

eli j obligacion said...

Power returned at around 10:30 am Sunday. There seems to be a semblance of normalcy so far as of yesterday. Outages lasting for about 2 hours still occurred in some areas last Sunday (such as twice in Amoingon). Based on previous experiences we just have to remain vigilant. It's Marelco's ballgame now, but it appears decidedly evasive to inquiries at present.