Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Talk about suspension orders and selective justice (again)

Ombudsman prosecutors have moved for the suspension of Marinduque governor Carmencita Reyes in connection with her graft and technical malversation cases pending before the Second Division of the anti-graft court, Sandiganbayan.
In a motion submitted to the Second Division on June 10, the prosecution team pointed out that it has been more than a year since Reyes was arraigned for the charges, and yet the court has yet to impose against her the mandatory preventive suspension as provided under Section 13 of Republic Act 3019 or the Anti Graft and Corrupt Practices Act.

Under the cases filed against her by the Office of the Ombudsman in June 2011, Reyes approved the purchase of P5 million-worth of equipment and fertilizers under the Arroyo administration's “Ginintuang Masaganang Ani Program” from a private supplier without holding a public bidding.  (GMA Network)

On the other hand, today's headlines are about the serving of a similar suspension order to Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay, Jr. over the allegedly overpriced Makati Science High School Building. 

The move for suspension of the Marinduque governor has not been resolved up to now. "Selective justice"?

'Impeach me,' Ombudsman dares critics

'Nabubuwisit na talaga ako, ha. Everytime I file a case, sasabihin ‘nyo, politically motivated. I am apolitical. Wala akong pinapanigan,' Ombudsman Carpio Conchita Morales says over allegations of 'selective justice.'
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales says she cannot be pressured by anyone.
File photo by Raffy Taboy

MANILA, Philippines – Exasperated by repeated allegations of “selective justice,” Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales on Wednesday, July 1, challenged her critics to initiate impeachment proceedings against her.
Morales hurled the challenge as she responded to questions on her suspension order against Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr, who stepped down that day, as another alleged case of the Ombudsman's “selective justice.”
E wala nang tamang ginawa ang Ombudsman e. Palagi ‘nyo akong kinukuwestiyon. (It seems the Ombudsman is not doing anything right. I’m always being questioned.) If you feel I am impeachable because I have done wrong, do so. I welcome it. I don’t have to be impeached. I will give my position on a silver platter,” a visibly irked Morales said.
She added: “Nabubuwisit na talaga ako, ha. Everytime I file a case, sasabihin ‘nyo,politically motivated. I am apolitical. Wala akong pinapanigan (I am really getting vexed. Everytime I file a case, you’ll say, it’s politically motivated. I am apolotical. I am neutral.)
Responding to questions, she denied suspicions that the Aquino administration has influenced the Ombudsman’s decisions regarding cases involving Mayor Binay, the subject of two suspension orders from her office in connection with two alleged overpriced buildings in Makati.
“I have always decided cases in accordance with the law and in accordance with the evidence. I had emphasized that before. We go by the evidence. Hindi puwedeng mape-pressure ka (You can’t be pressured). Otherwise, I have no reason for being here if I allow myself to be pressured by other people. That’s not true,” she said.
She said her office is guided by rules in making decisions, and not by external forces.
“If we believe that the complainant is wrong and the respondents gave the right answer, that’s the time we resolve it in favor of the respondent. Pero ngayonsa tingin namin very strong, napakalakas ng evidence against the respondents, so ano ang gagawin namin, matutulala, matatakot? No way!” Morales said. - Read full story on Rappler
ALSO READ:

Fertilizer scam trials, arrests, disparities; People of the Philippines vs Carmencita O. Reyes et al, and vs Abdullah Dimaporo et al