Sunday, April 2, 2017

Lyn Angeles' thoughts on Bong Carrion as he is laid to rest

One of Bong Carrion's favorite photos 

From Lyn Angeles' FB timeline 

April 2, 2017 - JOSE ANTONIO "BONG" CARRION, our former Governor (Marinduque) is finally laid to rest/cremated.

I can not let this day pass without remembering this man whose official entrance to Marinduque politics as Governor in 1995 seemed to coincide with my own "baptism of fire" as a young Municipal Councilor in Mogpog also in 1995. But though subsequently, I served as Provincial Board Member for 3 terms, I never got the chance to work with him closely at the provincial government. Inspite of many opportunities, hindi kami nagkakasabay mag-serve at the capitol. He invited me twice to join his political party during the 2001 and 2004 elections and was so kind to just understand and respect my decision to stay Independent. "He respects independent minds", he said. But my heart is so greatful for his kindness and confidence.

Just like any other administrations, his leadership may have its own strengths and weaknesses... its own "ups and downs"... aspects that one may appreciate or not appreciate...

I never had the chance to work closely with Gov. Carrion but I agree with many others that this man had good VISION FOR MARINDUQUE.

HINDI SIGURO ALAM NG MARAMI subalit ang Marinduque ang ISA SA MGA UNANG LALAWIGAN SA BANSA na naghanda at nagkaroon ng isang SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (SEMP) na dumaan sa tamang proseso. He started facilitating for it in 1995 with the help of partner organizations/foundations and friends from the Management Association of the Philippines (MAP). 

As young Councilor during that time who was invited in many consultation activities for that purpose, I felt proud for my province and I told myself: AT LAST, THERE IS THIS LEADER WHO BELIEVED IN LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT PLANNING... IN A "ROAD MAP" FOR DEVELOPMENT... Para kase sa maraming pulitiko, HINDI USO ang ganitong pang-matagalang pagpapa-plano (Long-Term Plan) kung paano papaunlarin ang bayan... mas usual concern pa kung "paano uli mananalo sa susunod na election".



I was also witness to the importance he gave to different stakeholders and the very active involvement of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and of the Business and Private Sectors in the preparation of this SEMP as "development road map" for the province. For this IMPORTANT INITIATIVES OF GOV. CARRION, as Marinduquena, I could only respect him more. I told myself then that Marinduque in on the right track.

However, in 1998, when I was elected Provincial Board Member, I asked for the SEMP which I thought will be a good development guide for us at the provincial gov't. After all, we (and others) invested in that important document. It must be used... Yet, I was so surprised that at that time, almost nobody wanted to talk about it ... and SO SHOCKING that I can hardly get a final copy of gat document in any office during that time. The ABSURD REASON given me was that it was simply a "different administration" already.



Now, I asked myself, what if this SEMP, a pioneering initiative of Gov. Carrion was continued and used regardless of politics and political differences??? 

NAISIP KO LANG: Siguro may iba't ibang industriyang umusbong... Siguro mas maraming trabaho ang tao... Siguro maunlad ang turismo at agrikultura... Siguro mas may direksyon at mas maunlad ang Marinduque ngayon... Siguro... Siguro... Dahil hindi nangyari because some SOME PEOPLE JUST FOUND IT SO HARD TO RISE ABOVE POLITICS... above SELF... forgetting that it is not just about "Carrion" (whom they may perceive as a political rival/enemy during that time) but it is more about WHAT IS GOOD FOR MARINDUQUE and its people... Frustrating...

BUT at least for your VISION and for INITIATING what others deemed USELESS and IRRELEVANT --- a DIRECTION and DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP THAT THIS PROVINCE SO NEED... and for the SERVICE and FRIENDSHIP you shared with us, your fellow Marinduquenos:

MARAMING SALAMAT PO! BELOVED GOVERNOR JOSE ANTONIO "BONG" CARRION.

May Our Creator Have Mercy on You and Grant You Eternal Rest!